|This was a fire waiting to happen!|
|Why would someone want to cover these?!|
Turns out that the wall dividing our dining room and kitchen has NOTHING holding it up underneath!
|That is the inside of the dining room wall and you can see |
straight down to the basement. No support!
|Someone's attempt to hide the sill.|
|As this wood was hit it turned to dust. Look at the nails not even |
touching the sill!
Saturday we removed the old sill that sat between the two halves of the kitchen. While we were doing that it was moving the joists that we had to brace up. Water pipes and heating pipes are attached to those joists. That caused a leak in the water supply to the area so everything had to stop to take care of the dripping.
|Mr. FixIt does it all!|
Fortunately, Mr. FixIt has a lot experience with water leaks! (Six years at his last job site taught him much.) He was able to remove the leaky pipe, fix it and replace it, soldering it back together. If we had to call in a plumber it would have taken much more time and money. I am grateful that he is so handy and that we had everything we needed in the basement. Back to the beam and joists! We set the joists in hangers nailing them to the beam instead of just having them notched in, as before. To finish the day we built a support for that unsupported wall. Nothing got done that we originally thought would get done this weekend but we are happy with the progress and trust that things happen when they happen for a reason.
|The replace sill and vapor barrier.|
I do not pretend to know much of anything about construction but enjoy discovering the handiwork and the craftsmanship of days gone by. When removing some of the rotted material we took this out.
|Hand tooled peg and post.|