We got the majority of the work out of the way and the room is functional and comfortable.
The windows had me stumped. I originally wanted wood blinds or some sort of bamboo or natural material for the texture and color. We had already purchased the standard white black-out shades and did not want to spend a ton on different blinds or shades.
I did not want to cover the entire windows in curtains. A valance of some sort seemed to be the obvious solution but I wanted it to add texture to the room. My solution was to build window boxes. I pitched the idea to Mister and he was on board. (Ha-ha, the pun was unintentional but I am leaving there for you!) It was going to cost a lot less than the other options which I am sure went a long way in convincing him.
The windows are 36 inches wide to the outside trim. We purchased six 1x4x4 boards. Each board was cut to 37 1/2 inches to allot for the the width of the wood and for the return. That is 36" across the face of the window and 3/4" on each end for the return. (Did you know that 1" thick wood is really only 3/4"?) For the return we cut 3" pieces. We (meaning Mister) made 6 boxes like this.
|Only 3 boxes got this treatment, they will be the headers, the other 3 will attach-1 each under the header|
Mister glued and used a nail gun with small brads to nail the pieces together. Immediately wipe any excess glue off as it will hinder your stain from doing its job.
|One of the top pieces.|
|I didn't bother to heavily sand or fill holes-impatient!|
We numbered each board so we knew which window went with each board when all was said and done.
After the glue completely dried I went to work. I tested variations on staining techniques. The first was just a gray stain, the second was walnut stain then a layer of weathered gray, and the third was weathered gray then a layer of walnut stain.
We decided on the medium color. I stained each board with dark walnut stain I had left over from another project. After that dried I applied a coat of weathered gray. I did not bother to sand the boards first. I wanted it to look a bit weathered or beachy....and I am a lazy diy-er.
After the stained dried I applied a coat of polyurethane and allowed it to dry...sort of.
Time to assemble!
I took one top box; it has the ripped down wood keeping it square and has the holes drilled into it for hanging and one 2 sided box and lined them up using a penny at each end for a spacer. I wanted just a little space between the boards. I purchased 6 mending plates from Lowes and used self driving screws that were 5/8" long to be sure they did not pull through the front.
One in place....
And the rest and with that the office is officially, completely done....unless I think of something else to do in there.
Thanks for hanging in there with me on this one! Now, what's next?
McCall Manor, Up To Date Interiors, The Curator's Collection, Imparting Grace, Joyful Homemaking, A Cup of Mrs. Olson, Must Love Home, Shabby Art Boutique, AKA Designs, Too Much Time On My Hands, The Charm of Home, Craftberry Bush, Must Love Home, A Delightsome Life, Life with Lorelai, The Pin Junkie, Lambert's Lately, French Country Cottage, Chic On A Shoestring, Craft Dictator, Just Us Four, The Cottage Market, The DIY Village, DIY Vintage Chic, I Heart Naptime, Blooming Homestead, A Tray of Bliss, Pieced Pastimes, One More Time Events, Finding Silver Pennies, Nifty Thrifty Things, DIY Showoff, DwellingsThe Heart of Your Home, Thoughts From Alice, Pink When, Create With Joy, My Pinterventures, Plucky's Second Thought, Coastal Charm, I should Be Mopping the Floor, Skip to My Lou, Sand & Sisal, Creatively Living, Mad In Crafts, Cedar Hill Farmhouse, Flamingo Toes, Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth, The Dedicated House, A Stroll Through Life, Elizabeth & Co, A Bowl Full Of Lemons, Our Home Away From Home, Cozy Little House, Savvy Southern Style, The Blissful Bee, The Newlywed Pilgrimage,SimplyDesigning, Gingersnap Crafts, DIY By Design, Handy Man Crafty Woman,