Friday, September 23, 2022

Floating Shelf DIY

Something is always changing in my home. Since we completed our kitchen renovation in 2014 I have struggled with the open shelves. 




First, they were next to the window. Then, I moved them to the adjacent wall. I took no pictures of that! It didn't last long until....

We painted that wall with chalk paint and removed the brackets. (They were only ornamental.) 



And still I was not thrilled.


I  finally got Mister on board to build a floating shelf. I have to draw it out because he needs a visual. Believe it or not my chicken scratch makes sense to him! 



He built the bracket that will support the shelf. It is anchored into the wall. This shelf will wrap around in an L-shape. 



Next up we placed the top and bottom boards to conceal the structural pieces. We used these clamps to get it set before any screws were put in.




Even though I can't see the top of the shelf or under it (unless I look up under) I do not want screw heads showing so Mister used these.



Poor picture but you get the idea.


The face of the shelf, which is really the part that is seen, is the big deal here for me. I don't want to see end cuts or raw edges which means mitered cuts for Mister. Mitered cuts on an old house are always a challenge but since we did make this kitchen from scratch we had an easier time. Again, I don't want to see screws or nails so Mister glued the face pieces on and clamped them in place. The mitered edges were glued together. 


We used painters tape to keep them drawn into place along with the clamps.




It was allowed to dry for 48 hours. Excessive? Maybe but I don't want it popping off. 
Meanwhile I found a combination of stains to match the original wood beam in the kitchen.


And the chalkboard wall got painted. Once that was dry I taped off around the shelf to protect the walls and stained the shelf. After that dried I sealed it. 




I allowed the stain and sealer to dry for over a week. I didn't want anything getting stuck to the top or messing up the finish.

We did this project during the pandemic. It's first season was Autumn.

Here is how it was decorated then. Ready for tea, coffee or a glass of wine with friends and family. Then it got the Christmas touch. 

So, what do you think? Is there a floating shelf in your future? Let me know if you decide to give it try.

 


Thank you for spending time with me today. 
I hope you found some ideas you can use in your own home.

No comments:

Post a Comment