Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Tips For Your Fall Table And Mantel

 Today, I am going to share with you my process for decorating my dining room for any given season. 


Yes,  I did decorate for autumn this year but you know it is always hard for me to let summer go. My summer table was very simple this year. I pulled a woven runner down the center and loaded it with all my beach finds: shells, rocks and glass. Add a little greenery and some twinkle lights and call er' done. 


The mantel got a similar treatment; seashells, driftwood and twinkle lights are my jam. 
(Do people still say that?)


But summer can't last forever, especially here in New England. So, it was time for a clean slate.


When I begin I gather all the items I have for that season. I am not limited to using just these items nor will I use all these items but I want to see everything that I have and develop a plan from there. Remember to shop your stuff. Not everything has to be used in the same way or same place every year. 


A recent trip with a friend to Hobby Lobby gave me my starting point this year. The royal blue, velvet pumpkin and the squirrel are new additions. I love that pumpkin and it gave me an idea! 
I pulled out my grandmother's blue and white pottery that I usually use for summer.
 Yup, I'm gonna sneak some summer in there. 


I use risers in my decorating. They can be cake stands, candle holders, books, a flat lid... anything to give some rise and fall in your arrangement. I also pulled out a scarf to use as a type of runner. 


In this case I decided to put the risers under the scarf and then scrunched it in a messy s-shaped arrangement. I added a driftwood garland and the pottery. 


At this point I add twinkle lights because I don't want them to just lay on top of the arrangement. I want them woven into it. I wrap them around a rolling pin to get the spiral effect and then nestle them into the arrangement. 



Once the base is set I add in the accents and fillers. In this case I used my painted dollar store pumpkins, seashells (still holding onto summer), and hydrangea picks I made several years ago for the autumn season.


I nestled in some candle sticks and added my great-grandmothers turkey plates. I topped them with blue and white plates Mister picked out a few years ago. Can you find the pretty velvet pumpkin? 



The mantel got a dressed up. My teal pitcher that is usually only used for summer made its way out of storage. A riser holds a fake pumpkin. Painted dollar store pumpkins, a large starfish, sand dollar and wood beads accompany the inspiration squirrel. Twinkle lights and some springs of greenery along with some of the hydrangea picks finish off the coordinating look. 


When I decorated the table I did so with the table being its normal length. That was a mistake! I needed it to be ready for guests so I had to undo the whole thing, add the leaf and put it back. That is when I decided to change one of the risers to a shorter one. The ginger pot that sat on that one was too tall and kept me from being able to see the people on the other side of the table. 
I also added some green apples to break up the blues a bit. 



In hind sight I should have arranged the whole thing on some sort of moveable board for ease in changing the leaf in the table. My table has been at its super-sized length for almost two months- which is silly for when it is just Mister and me. I will work on the for next time. 

So, here's the take away: 

1) Shop your stuff-you don't always have to buy new
2) Use risers                                                                
3) Add twinkle lights                                                   
4) Use unexpected or out of season items  
5) Make sure sight lines are not obstructed                      
6) Don't be afraid to adjust as needed  
                    
If you use any of these tips, let me know! 

Ready your home for guests, friends, and family. Share a cup of tea or a meal together.
 Encourage one another. 

So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.
Galatians 6:10


Party Links 
Blue Sky At Home, Katherine's Corner, Shabby Art Boutique

*Mantle has been changed to mantel. Sorry for the misspell. 




No comments:

Post a Comment