Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Painted Pumpkin Tutorial

You've seen those pretty pumpkins all over the internet and in the magazines. You went to the craft store and got a bit of sticker shock. Do you want to spend that much on a fake pumpkin and what happens if you don't want a blue/green/pink/gold/purple pumpkin next year?

Is this you? Maybe it was just me.... sometimes color committal is hard for me. I like lots of different colors for lots of different reasons and a color I may be stuck on this year (month, week, day) doesn't mean I want it around next year. What's a girl to do? What I have been doing all along... reach into my paint stash.

Two years ago I wanted gold pumpkins... I tried painting real pumpkins. That was fine until they started decaying... ick!
     
                   

Last year I wanted all things neutral. Tan, white, wood tones and I mingled in greens.

                           

                           
               
This year a new color combo has caught my eye and I am just not ready to give up my summer colors...
     
My solution was to pick up some cheap-o pumpkins from Walmart. I paid $.98 for the little ones and less than $5 for the big ones. I used a 50% coupon at A.C. Moore and grabbed some paper mache' pumpkins, plus I raided my cache from last year. My little collection of pumpkins ranged in size and color and by themselves didn't look bad but I want them different colors this year.



If your pumpkins have stems, remove them if possible. The foam-y little ones from Walmart just pulled out. Don't worry, they go back in. It just makes it easier than trying to paint around. Some of my pumpkins didn't give me that option. You can tape them off or like me, just wing it.


I grabbed Waverly chalk paint (left over from another project) and gave everything two coats. You can purchase it at A.C.Moore... USE A COUPON.


Ahhh. So much better but I'm not done.


I went back to my paint stash. I had grabbed some "oops paint" from Home Depot a while back in this watery blue color. (Side note: Oops paint is paint somebody returned. Grab those paints when you see them! They are the best bargain around! I bought my paint for less than $1.00 and have used it on several small projects.) No worries if you don't hoard paint like me... pick up a couple craft paints from the store that work with your color scheme. Use those coupons!

While my white chalk paint was still wet I dipped my brush into the blue, ever so lightly, and went back to the pumpkin. Work that little bit of paint into the white giving it a light washed color all over.




I then went back into the blue and hit the ribs to make them a bit darker. Be sure to blend the colors out so you don't see lines. Let them dry.


Make sure you paint the stems if working with ones like paper mache'. I layered yellow, burnt umber and dark brown trying to make them look more realistic... as realistic as a blue, paper mache' pumpkin can look. Touch up plastic stems that may have gotten color on them. Replace stems that you removed.




Some I did darker all over.


Some I left white.




Now, spread your pumpkins throughout your home like fairy sprinkles!



Will I still want these colors next year? I have no idea but I know I am not stuck with my choice. It's just paint and little time, limited only by my imagination and who knows what that will look like next year!

Thanks for visiting with me! Have a great day! 
Jolena

Linking up to these parties:
French Country Cottage, Remodelaholic, Shabby Art Boutique, The Cottage Market, Olives-n-Okra, The Boondocks Blog, Create With Joy, Ms. Toody Goo Shoes, Chic On A Shoestring, Pieced Pastimes, One More Time Events, Ducks n'a Row, Finding Silver Pennies, Nifty Thrifty Things, Life On Lakeshore Drive, Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home, Create With Joy, Cedar Hill Farmhouse, Coastal Charm, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, Skip To My Lou, Cupcakes & Crinoline, Plucky's Second Thought, The Dedicated House, Home Stories A to Z, Mad In Crafts, The Crafty Blog Stalker, Lou Lou Girls, Celebrate and Decorate, A Stroll Thru Life, Our Home Away From Home, Savvy Southern Style, My Repurposed Life, Gingersnap Crafts, DIY By Design, The Vintage Nest, Saving 4 Six, Have A Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson, The Pin Junkie, A Delightsome Life, Up To Date Interiors, Imparting Grace, Katherine's Corner, Our Hopeful Home, Life With Lorelai

22 comments:

  1. A brilliant project, love all your colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thank you for always being so kind to comment and visit with me.

      Delete
  2. Jolena these guys would be perfect in my new apartment which is all grey and blue. How about you ship some of them over? A great way to give a bit of summer flavor to your fall decor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I've never really had any talent with a paint brush, but you made it look like even I could do it! Well, maybe. I'm not going to be doing much crafting this season. It's a different kind of fall here at Harvest Lane Cottage.

    I hope you're enjoying your weekend.
    Be blessed by the Lord Jesus,
    Laura Lane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I am honored that you stopped by today and that this tutorial inspired you to maybe give it try. Pin it for later, for next year, for when you are done with this battle.
      2 Cor. 4:17-18 For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
      Praying for you this morning.

      Delete
  4. The pumpkins are so lovely. I got away from having a real pumpkin for years for the very reason it is fun to coordinate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to use different colors. I just read that someone used raspberry colored pumpkins in their decor. Can't wait to see a picture of that! Thanks for visiting with me.

      Delete
  5. looks like pumpkin may have perfect place to create. I love all the great colors and I have even seen them with fabric etc...
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a problem with color committal also and painting is a great idea. The gray and blue are very unique and I think that's where I will start. Thank you for sharing with us this week at Celebrate Your Story and we hope you will join us again next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting the party each week, Sandra, and giving us a place to share our projects and blogs!

      Delete
  7. I love the blue look! It looks elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I painted a pumpkin white last year! And I've really grown to love the blue ones, so pretty! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm. xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathleen. I am loving the blue this year... who knows what color will be my favorite next year.

      Delete
  9. Absolutely beautiful pumpkins. I will be featuring this tonight at my Fall into Fall party. Please stop by the party and pick up your I've Been Featured button. Thanks. http://diybydesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and hosting the party! I am excited to be included in the things you are featuring! Gonna head over right now!

      Delete
  10. Very sweet Jolena! Loving the blue pumpkins. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete