Thursday, October 22, 2015

Bedroom Shuffle- Part 1

Recently I posted pictures on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter of a closet that had no insulation, a live outlet, a length of unknown wire and a hole that you could see daylight through, The hole was new to us but not to the wasps who had started to build a nest!


The hole is about 1/3 down in the center of this photo. Outlet on the  right. Hole
 in the bottom left is to attic space over the kitchen.

That is the wasp nest.
For me, the most annoying thing was that there was no insulation. Last year we had Mass Saves come into our home with their little heat seeking device to determine the need for insulation. We were told that according the colors on the little hand held device that we had plenty of insulation in our walls. Ha!

This was the second time (first time was here) we have opened a wall to find NO insulation; not a fiber, not a newspaper, not a vapor barrier. Zip. Zilch. Nada! The man then proceeded to remove all normal light bulbs from my home and replace them with stupid ones that take 5 minutes to "warm up". I walk into a room, turn one on and walk out to do something while it gets up to full strength then I forget to go back and an hour later I'm like, "why is this light on?"!! Tell me how that is saving energy! I've just wasted an hour of electricity, my brain cells and the energy it took to walk into that room twice! Okay, whew. I'm done, but I am still not happy with Mass Saves wasting my time and tax payers dollars.

Now, the closet. The closet was in our office. It is really the 4th bedroom but we used it as our office. It has the biggest closet in the house and it was mine. Our bedroom closet is way to small for both Mister and me. Along with clothes, my closet also housed our photo albums and framed art not currently in use. It was also the music room, unofficial library, and catch all for all things without a home. I am sort of embarrassed about how bad this looks.

I have no excuse.



Mister decided it was time to address some work upstairs that was needing to be done. Looking at these photos I am guessing you are thinking "and not a moment too soon".I recently wrote about vanities that I had salvaged (here). I think the realization of what the bedrooms used to look like sunk in.  We were going to start my youngest's bedroom but that meant we needed to put her somewhere in the interim. We thought to move her in to the office. Where!? I don't know.

The middle child quickly spoke up and said she wanted to move into that room even though it meant downsizing. I was like "No, no, no" but Mister is a big softie and so we went forward. That meant loosing my closet. Oh, that still smarts a little. While preparing the room for daughter #2 we went to tidy up the closet and found the live outlet. "We should move that that to a place she can use it", said Mister. That meant dealing with horsehair plaster and lath. Okay. And, that is when we found all the other stuff.

                        

Mister is a hardworking guy, though,  and he had the closet back together in no time and painted.


And we were on our way. My girl has a vision for her room so we're scouring Pinterest for ideas. She is liking greys and whites and shabby chic....ooh I'm so on board! Come back soon to see the progress!

Linking up to these parties!

French Country Cottage,The Shabby Nest,Chic On A Shoestring,Craft Dictator,WhipperberryRemodelaholic,Just Us Four,The Cottage Market,The DIY VillageDIY Vintage Chic,Blooming Homestead,The Girl Creative,Craft-O-Maniac,Satisfaction Through Christ,Missional WomenShabby Art BoutiqueShoestring EleganceA Tray of BlissThe Dedicated HousePieced Pastimes , Funky Junk InteriorsOne More Time EventsNifty Thrifty ThingsDIY ShowoffDwellings-The Heart of Your HomeFinding Silver PenniesThoughts From AliceInside The Fox Den (My Pinterventures), Cedar Hill FarmhouseCoastal CharmSew Can DoFlamingo ToesI Should Be Mopping The FloorsSkip to My LouCupcakes and CrinolineHome Stories A to ZHuckleberry LoveMy Uncommon Slice of SurburbiaDomestically SpeakingSand and SisalVMG206Creatively LivingPlucky's Second ThoughtThe Dedicated HouseKaren's Up On The HillCreate With JoyMad In CraftsCarrie This HomeThe Crafty Blog StalkerBetween Naps On The PorchStrangers and Pilgrims On EarthYes They Are All OursA Stroll Thru Life,  Our Home Away From HomeElizabeth & Co., DIY Dreamer Bowl Full of LemonsCozy Little HouseJust A Girl And Her BlogTime Warp WifeA Spirit of Simplicity11 Magnolia LanePink WhenLittle Miss CelebrationKitchen Fun With My 3 SonsReasons To Skip The HouseworkImparting GraceLambert's LatelyGrace and Good EatsToo Much Time On My HandsAKA DesignThe Charm Of HomeLife With LorelaiCommon GroundFrom My Front Porch To Yours,My Flagstaff HomeJoyful HomemakingHave A Daily Cup Of Mrs. OlsonCrafts ala ModeBlesser HouseMust Love HomePin JunkieA Delightsome LifeCraftberry BushSnazzy Little ThingsMy Repurposed LifeUp To Date InteriorsA Vision To RememberKatherine's Corner

20 comments:

  1. Oh Jolena. This DOES sound exciting. I can't wait to see an update! Love, Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for an update! Thanks for sharing at Five Star Frou-Frou. Will you join me again this week? Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. Hi Pretty Lady. Thank you for sharing your wonderful creativity with us at Friday Favorites! Good luck on your closet! I hope you will join us again next week! Christine at Must Love Home

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard work but it will be so great when finished!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY.
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting, Cindy. I can't wait to show the finished product!

      Delete
  4. Wasps are very destructive, I'm looking at a little dimple in my ceiling and wondering what is doing what--up there. I'm sure it will turn out great. Thanks for the great BEFORES...lol. We have all been there with older houses. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandi! Thanks for the visit. I hope your ceiling dimple is nothing awful.

      Delete
  5. OH my gosh...that's insane, but it's going to look great when it's done!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you stopped by, Jessica. I can't wait to post photos of the completed projects.

      Delete
  6. Wow how plans change fast, lol! Love the shabby chic thinking your daughter invisions. Can't wait to see the end result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do! I am blessed with a man who knows how to roll with the punches!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for showing us your projects. Awesome big projects. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting with me, Linda! We are always up to something around here!

      Delete
  8. That is crazy about the insulation! Seems like one project leads to another. lol! Best of luck and can't wait to see! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting with me, again, Jan and for hosting the party. I can't wait to show the reveal!

      Delete
  9. Leaks are never a fun thing to have to deal with at home and I know because I have had them myself. It might help if you hire an expert to do the clean up for you so that you can just focus on other things and not have to worry that this is a problem that you have to tackle yourself.

    Gregg Hogan @ American Basement Solutions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gregg. I am blessed to have a very handy husband!

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete