Friday, December 4, 2015

Bedroom #2-Reveal

I had grand intentions to post the reveal of my youngest daughter's bedroom last week but in hind sight I think I was thinking I could do more that I could reasonably do. We had my dad here with us for Thanksgiving and with that in mind I just did not have the time I would've liked to have for the blog. I enjoyed the time with my dad. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Today, Dad is back in Texas and I have a bit of time to show you the finished product!



As a quick reminder, this is how the room looked at one time. Cute, right? But life happens and things don't always stay the way we would like them to. With that truth glaring in our faces, daily, (or at least when the door was left open and we walked by) we devised a plan to rearrange, reuse and refresh my baby girl's room.

Our first tasks were the floor and closet. You can see that here.

Next we set our sites on bedding. My girl is tall and has long legs. Her old day bed was ruined because of trying to fit a big body into small bed. I was looking for more of captain's bed set up but we compromised on a headboard with a little storage.  I found a headboard on the internet that we both agreed upon but did not want to pay the list price. No worries, I found it on Craigslist for $40 including the frame!


We reused netted shear panels from another room. They were from Ikea ($5 each). We love Ikea! We call it Stuff Mart. (If you have ever seen the Madam Blueberry episode of Veggie Tales you would understand.) They were hung on swing arm rods on either side of the headboard. I purchased a string of white curtain lights from Amazon to drape over the top of the shears. I folded the string in half securing them together with white zip ties. It gives an ethereal look to the bed. I plugged them into a button that sits on the floor for activation; typically used for Christmas trees so nobody has to crawl under the tree.




I purchased a new comforter and sham from Walmart. The monogrammed pillow was a gift from a dear friend from several years ago. 

The floor was covered with two coats of paint; two shades darker than the wall.

wall                                                                              floor
I originally wanted a small 5x7 rug but while we were at Stuff Mart we found some round rugs, two feet in diameter that worked well when placed together and we couldn't beat the price at less than $10 each.


Remember the old tea cart that I turned into a vanity? It needed some attention and freshening up. I removed the broken glass and replaced the pink shelf liner with a hounds tooth patterned paper. We both loved the results. 


Mister brought home two cd holders, at least that is what we think they are. We cut one up and mounted it to the wall for book and stuff storage above the vanity area.



Lighting is an issue in this room. There is no overhead light or switch. We reused her swag chandelier and hung it in the corner over a barrel back chair (purchased new for the room) from Ikea. Thrift is the name of the game on this remodel project. I reused her window valances that I had made for her 5 years ago. I reused art work from her old room. The Paris photo was from a staged apartment at Mister's work-free! The lamp base is also from Mister's work. The picture collage above the bed was purchased for $5 on a local yard sale site. I was thrilled to find a Pottery Barn lamp shade in zebra print on one of the local Facebook yard sale sites for $5. Yes, new, still in the box, and $5! Sweet.


There had to be a space dedicated to friends. We tried to edit that a bit as it can get out of hand. We selected artwork made by her friends. Friends, clothes and music are very important to my girl and they needed their own space in the room.











And there you have it! Bedroom #2 is done.

I have been decorating for Christmas so come back soon and see what I have been up to!

Linking up to these parties:
DIY Vintage Chic, Life With Lorelai, Shabby Art Boutique, French Country Cottage, Chic On A Shoestring, Craft Dictator, Just Us Four, I Heart Nap Time, The Girl Creative, Craft-o-Maniac, The Cottage Market, Shoestring Elegance, Blooming Homestead, A Tray of Bliss, Little Miss Celebration, One More Time Events, Reasons To Skip The Housework, Finding Silver Pennies, Thoughts From Alice, Pink When, Coastal Charm, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, Huckleberry Love, Creatively Living, Pluckys Second Thought, Karen's Up On The Hill, Create With Joy, Strangers and Pilgrims On Earth, Elizabeth & Co, Cedar Hill Farmhouse, Flamingo Toes, Home Stories A to Z, Sand & Sisal, The Dedicated House, The DIY Dreamer, A Bowl Full of Lemons, Ladybug Blessings, Our Home Away From Home, Cozy Little House, Just A Girl And Her Blog, Kathe With An E, Savvy Southern Style, The Blissful Bee, Simply Designing, Ivy and Elephants, DIY By Design, Handy Man Craft Woman, Crafty Allie, Imparting Grace, Too Much Time On My Hands, Lambert's Lately, AKA Design, The Charm of Home, Katherine's Corner, Common Ground,  Craftberry Bush, From My Front Porch To You, My Flagstaff Home, Joyful Homemaking, Blesser House, Must Love Home

19 comments:

  1. Jolena, how completely beautiful! Job well done, Mum! Thanks for sharing at Five Star Frou-Frou. Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mimi and thank you for spending time with me.

      Delete
  2. Oh so pretty! My daughter would love this room. She recently went to a black, white and teal color pallet, since she has to grow up ;) thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting with me, Misty! Those girls do know their style!

      Delete
  3. Wow you did a beautiful job decorating your daughters room!
    Thanks for sharing this at Cooking and Crafting with J&J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jolena! I couldn't resist featuring your pretty teen bedroom makeover at Five Star Frou-Frou this week. Congrats! Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Featured your beautiful makeover tonight. Also pinned on the What to do Weekends party board. Best wishes, Linda @Crafts a la mode

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it came out so beautiful and fun!!! I am sure you daughter will have many happy memories there thanks to a loving mother. Thank you for sharing this on the Art of Home-Making Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting the party and giving me the opportunity to share!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I love those lighted accents! Thanks for sharing at My Flagstaff Home!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and allowing me the chance to show off a bit!

      Delete
  8. This turned out SO great!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty room makeover. Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How many curtain panels did you use over the bed? It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just two panels. They are extra long, though. I purchased them at Ikea as a set of two and they are overlapped at the top. In order to get them on the rods like that layed them out on the floor with the top of each panel touching then I overlapped by about 2 feet. I pinned them them and sewed them together to create new rod pockets. Thanks for the question and for the visit!

      Delete