Wednesday, November 2, 2016

DIY Art With A Sharpie

I needed a piece of fall oriented artwork for the hutch top in my living room. For over a year now I have been using a free printable piece to work from. Until now I have given them away as gifts but today, this one is for me.



I start with a printed piece. I found it on the internet years ago when searching "free printable pumpkins". You can find it here or go to my Pinterest account and in the Autumn board.

Now, I am going to talk about taping paper but it is not actually tape, it is Loctite blue mounting putty that I pick up from Staples. I use it everywhere. I attach it to back of frames to keep them straight on the wall, I use if for lightweight seasonal decorating. I have note cards with Scripture tacked all over the house. I use it to hang Christmas cards we receive each year. I always have it on hand. It can be reused as long as it is clean. It does not leave marks or stains on the walls and it doesn't damage photos that I use it on. Sometimes, on old pieces of paper it sticks and won't come off clean but that is rare.


Ok, so I enlarged the pumpkin image to fit what I wanted to do with it. I then "taped" it to the window. You can use a light box if you have one but I don't so the window does the trick for me. Next I taped a page from an old book I use for decorating and crafts over the top, positioning it where I wanted my image to show up.


Using a Sharpie, I traced the image onto the book page. Simple, right? Now, I realize I could have just printed this onto the book page using my printer but I did not want it to look that perfect.



You can leave your piece just like that, frame it and you're done....but I can't leave well enough alone so I added color. I have a set of chalks that I purchased from a Stampin Up party years and years ago (like 15+). Craft supply hoarder...not just a title-it's who I am. I accept it.



They work perfect for this? I use a paint brush and brush/scrub in my colors. The first time around leaves a light coloring.



You build color up with the chalks so you will want to go back in two or three times. It is very easy to blend colors with the chalks. Make sure to not smudge your work as you hand rests on the piece. Blow off any chalk dust periodically.


When you are happy with the color mat it and frame it.


I have done this on paper several times but my favorite is to do it on muslin.


I like the look of leaving in black and white but the chalks work very nice on the muslin. They blend beautifully into one another but you'll have to take my word on it for now.



And, there it is; easy-peasy and super cheap! I had the frames, matting, muslin, chalks and book pages. Free art=yippee!  If you try this project send me a picture of it! Oh! And if you haven't signed up to follow by email, please consider doing so. Thanks.

Party Time!
Savvy Southern Style, The Blissful Bee, Gingersnap Crafts, DIY By Design, Handy Man Crafty Woman, Ducks n' a Row, Lambert's Lately, Poofing the Pillows, Katherine's Corner, The Vintage Nest, Joyful Homaking, A Cup Of Mrs. Olson, A Delightsome Life, Up To Date Interiors, Charm Bracelet Diva, Imparting Grace, My Repurposed Life, The Charm of Home, The Pin Junkie, Shabby Art Boutique, French Country Cottage, McCall Manor, Creatively Homemade, Life With Lorelai, The Cottage Market, Olives-n-Okra, My Christmas Journey, Back 2 Simple Life, Chic On A Shoestring, DIY Vintage Chic, Ms. Toody Goo Shoes, Pieced Pastimes, One More Time Events, Finding Silver Pennies, Nifty Thrifty Things, The Boondocks Blog, Re Do It Yourself, The Chelsea Project, The Stonybrook House, The DIY Showoff, Create With Joy, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, Plucky's Second Thought, Strangers and Pilgrims On Earth, Coastal Charm, Creatively Living, Mad In Crafts, Cedar Hill Farmhouse, Flamingo Toes, Cupcakes and Crinoline, The Lou Lou Girls, Celebrate and Decorate, A Stroll Thru Life, Our Home Away From Home, A Bowl Full of Lemons, About A Chick, The DIY Dreamer, Beyond The Picket Fence, The Newlywed Pilgrimage, The Pin Junkie, Shoestring Elegance, The DIY Village, The Blooming Homestead, Skip to My Lou, The Dedicated House

43 comments:

  1. I love this, Jolena. Such an easy way to create your own art especially for people like me who are not very artistic. Thanks for the tip about the mounting putty too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joanne! You are most welcome and thank you for coming over and spending some time with me.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Necessity is the mother of invention... or maybe just too many tracing books as a kid? Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  3. This is just beautiful! And thank you, so much, for the great tips on creating a gorgeous piece of art! I'm definitely pinning this for future use. I'm not an artist, but this makes it look easy to create something that looks really artistic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! That is the goal, Julie! Please send me a picture of it when you give it try. I would love to see it.

      Delete
  4. That's impressive. I was glad to see it wasn't in a Bible. ~smile~ I'm a bit old fashioned about my Bible.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used old bibles in the past. I pick them up at yard sales or white elephants. I don't think I could part with one of my own. Thanks for dropping by and spending time with me today.

      Delete
  5. I use this tracing technique for lettering all the time. But I had never used those types of paints before. I am pinning this find. Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably any type of chalk would work, Leanna. I find it very forgiving. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I love this and plan to use it. Thanks for sharing.
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! This is so cute. Pinning this to try with my friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! Come back and show me some pictures when you do; I would love to see how they turned out. Thanks for coming by,today.

      Delete
  8. Great idea - This would make great xmas gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Patti! Thanks for dropping by and spending time with me.

      Delete
  9. Very pretty! I have chalks that I have had for eons as well. :) Haven't used them in sometime. Really love it both colored and b&w! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, pull those puppies out, Jann! Thanks for stopping by and for the party.

      Delete
  10. That is super cute! THanks for sharing it with Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! Thanks for sharing these great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Thank you for sharing this technique! I am pinning to try later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks for pinning and for the visit, Helen.

      Delete
  13. Hi Jolena, just hopping back to let you know that you will be featured at SYC later today.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore this. Thanks for sharing at Your Inspired Design. I'll be featuring it tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on being one of our features at Your Inspired Design. Love your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol and thank you for stopping by today!

      Delete
  16. What a great idea!! The pumpkin art looks beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOOOOOVE this idea! SO pretty!

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is very creative and original. Thank you for sharing with us this week at Celebrate Your Story, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful project! Congrats Jolena - you are one of our featured guests at this week's Inspire Me Monday Party at Create With Joy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you for hopping over and spending time with me and for the party!

      Delete
  20. I absolutely love that project! I can hardly wait to make it myself. Thanks for sharing! Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Please drop by and share a picture of it with me when you get it done!

      Delete
  21. Very Impressive!! Stopping by from Tatertots & Jello!
    Wood pallets

    ReplyDelete