Saturday, October 17, 2020

Autumn Home Vignette Challenge

Vignette (pronounced vin-yet). Isn't that a pretty word. It sounds gentile to me, maybe even  Victorian-esque. It conjures thoughts in my mind of all things pretty. 

While I have in my mind an understanding of the word I thought it best to see what the dictionary had to say. A vignette, as described by Webster's Dictionary: (noun) a picture (such as an engraving or photograph) that shades off gradually into the surrounding paper; a brief incident or scene. 

In literary terms, a vignette is a "short scene that captures a single moment or a defining detail about a character, idea, or other element of the story". 

Originally, it seems that a vignette was a vine or decoration around the text of a written piece, a decoration. It may or may not have been something drawn from the writing. 

When I am putting together a vignette in my home it is a small snapshot of a feeling I am trying to convey. It is a small representation of a season, event,  or moment I want to share with my visitors and family. Having dabbled in photography a bit I consider these little areas in my home as compositions and am always trying to style these little scenes/snapshots as such. 

Recently, I was on a fellow blogger's website and was thrilled to see that she had put out a challenge for others to share their Autumn vignettes! And so.... 

I'm joining Katherine from Katherines Corner and a few of her blog friends for her 

Autumn Home Vignette Challenge!

The challenge- we must include at least one pumpkin in our vignette. 

Here are a couple from around my home. If you are attempting this in your home keep in mind a few things:

 1) use lifts (books, blocks of wood, candle holders) to vary heights and use trays to corral the scene




2) layer vs straight lines work best usually 



3) try to tell a story with your items 4) it's not permanent so you can change it as you go along 5) use your phone to take photos and study them- sometimes our eye sees more in an actual photo and it's also easier to block out competing images from around the room. 

Autumn for me means nesting. There is more time to snuggle up with a soft blanket, read a book or spending indoor time playing games, and of course you need to throw some plaid in because what goes better than plaid and fall? That is the story in the next photo. 


These next two points are key: 
 4) it's not permanent so you can change it as you go along 
5) use your phone to take photos and study them- sometimes our eye sees more in an actual photo and it's also easier to block out competing images from around the room. 

Now it's your turn! Come back, leave me a message. And visit the others below for great ideas! 



Please click on each of the links below, please leave a comment. You will find beautiful vignettes filled with lots of inspiration for your home.

Katherines Corner

An Artful Mom

Eclectic Red Barn

While I Linger

Bluesky at Home

LE CHÂTEAU DE PIERRE

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, warm and welcoming. Thank you for being part of the challenge, pinned! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the opportunity, Katherine. It was very kind of you. Thanks for pinning.

      Delete
  2. Hello Jolena,Thanks so much for walking us through creating a well curated Vignette.I enjoyed your decorative Fall picks on your mantel. It was so nice meeting you through this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you, also! Thank you for the kind words and for visiting with me!

      Delete