Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Bazaar Trip


Ah.........Summer! For me summers are like a long anticipated, extra-special guest and this year with record snow falls in the region the wait seemed especially long. Now that it is here I want to cherish every moment of it because before I know it summer will slip away like sand through my fingers.

Summer for me has many facets to it. The beaches are a big part of it! The Swan Boats in Boston Common and dipping my toes into the Frog Pond are a must and if I am lucky we might even get away to the Cape. For me, summer also means shopping at various flea markets, craft fairs and farmer's markets. One of my very favorite venues has become The Vintage Bazaar held at Pettengill Farm in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts; much smaller than Brimfield but every bit worth the effort to attend.


If you love the beach or coastal living this is absolutely the place to go for decor and inspiration.


Queenie B's-Cindy Diorio at Flukes+Finds+Friends

There is a little bit of old hippie living in a corner of my heart. If you're a little bit "hippie chick" this is the place for you.

One of Devon's booths. She is the "founder, producer and bazaar maven" of The Vintage Bazaar.



Throw on a pair of cowboy boots and your hippie just turned down a country road!



Vintage Bazaar
If you like old things used in new ways or re-imagined into useful things for today well, this is where you should be.

Excentrique's use of an old mailbox. A little different take on junk mail?
Excentrique's old enamel pot with a grapevine wreath and potted geranium. (Bad pun intended.)

Red Tractor Vintage uses an old pulley to suspend a light.


Maybe you're like me and just enjoy being around creative people. You will not find a more creative or eclectic bunch than at The Vintage Bazaar. 


I am convinced that I belong in a beach house but reality doesn't seem to agree with me. I have adapted and learned over the past twenty years of living here that summers go too quick for my liking. As a result I have resorted to decorating with a more coastal vibe in my home-trying to savor every bit of outdoor living even when the temperatures force me indoors. As I perused the booths this year I was struck at just how many vendors seemed to summon my thoughts to a seaside retreat or to maybe sit in a swing in some secret garden.



Painted furniture continues to be on everybody's list. The colors varied from traditional whites and blues to some gorgeous shades of greens and corals. If you have an old banged up piece of furniture a new coat of paint can work wonders. I have tried my hand at it a few times and you can see them here, and here and here. There are several home-made paint formulas available on Pinterest or purchase ready made ones like Cari Cucksey's from Cash & Cari on HGTV. If you are new at painting furniture she was holding a workshop at the Bazaar!

Cari Cucksey's Repurpose ChromaColor Recolor Paint
2 years ago we got a picture with Cari!


If painted furniture is not your thing leave it natural, maybe seal it with a good sealer. I like Waterlox and have had excellent results with their products. If you are more interested in a finished product I found beautiful tables made from pallet wood by Ingrained. They were so smoooooth! This could be for a coastal decor, industrial, cottage, country, minimalist....the possibilities are endless and the results are simply lovely! They do custom work if you are looking for something specific.


Ingrained

Ingrained
I met Matthew Mead, upcycler and former style editor of Country Home magazine, and took away this inexpensive tip: painted rocks! What an easy way to add some color to a dining table, bookshelf, or maybe even planters. Paint them to match your outdoor dining ware or furniture and use them to hold down tablecloths on a windy day.





 I am also borrowing this idea: old photos attached to empty glass bottles or vases held secure by photo corners.



Pretty Danielle and her handy husband at Finding Silver Pennies were loaded with so many beautiful pieces I couldn't possibly show them all. I have followed her blog for some time and it was a pleasure to meet her. Her painted pieces were beautiful and impeccably beachy! One idea that can be done for your home is a paper wreath using maps. Use maps of a place you want to remember-it doesn't have to be a coastal town. Perhaps use maps of places you would like to visit, where you met your spouse, where the children were born....you get the idea.




I met several ladies in the Coastal Windows & Exteriors booth. A summer house needs beautiful windows to look through-whether you are looking in or looking out. Lucia Lighting and Design and Muzio Designs shared the booth. They can help you make in the inside of your home reflect the beauty of the outside or go a completely different direction. Their websites are full of ideas. 

Oh, I do wish I had a place for this!

Mill 77 Trading Company not only spoke to my infatuation with the ocean but also to the nostalgic side of me with these:

The bench was made from old doors! 



They had all kinds of vintage business signs and I am old enough to remember when some of them were in use and in style!

You could decorate with a vintage truck like Dustcovery!

Wouldn't you love one of these to drive around town in?


Perhaps vintage kitsch is more your style?

Never used! That's what the tag said.


Dish Sisters
For those who like an earlier decorating era- Poverty Hollow Primitives was representing:


For your home, whether painted or natural, rusty, galvanized or shiny, new or new-to-you, leather or lace, vintage or primitive, smooth-as-silk finished or fabulously chippy, if you really love it you will find a way to make it work. "Rules" are guides in decorating. If you want a big huge cow on your wall go for it! If a lamp made from tea pots and a topped with a baby doll head in steam punk fashion makes your heart jump then you can find a way to work it in. It's your home; fill it with things that you love and then find ways to use them to serve others! Happy Summer!


Linking Up!

20 comments:

  1. Jolelna, thanks for the tour and inspiration. It's so hot in Florida that the thought of going to any open-air even is off-putting. I saw your link at Becca's DIY Vintage Chic's party. Ann Marie at Iris Abbey www.irisabbey.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining me today, Ann Marie. I stopped in at your blog and enjoyed seeing your beautiful work. I also read your post on White Furniture Factory; what a beautiful tribute to the workers, craftsmanship and a bygone era in our nation.

      Delete
  2. My favorite places to search and buy!!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! This is my kind of summer fun! I got so excited to see these places because we are heading to that area this Saturday. The Vintage Bazaar is about a half hour from where we are staying but it's not open again till September?! Are there any other flea markets or shows in the area open the first week of August?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann Marie! Thanks for stopping over. There are plenty of places in the are to get a decorative junkie fix. If you pop across the bridge you will be in Newburyport. There are several lovely shops in the center area; some that were mentioned in this post. An internet search will give you tons of ideas. All along Route 1 you will find little places. I would definitely do a search and map some of them out. Have fun, bring a camera and enjoy the visit!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful place to visit! Thanks for sharing at our Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! This sounds like so much fun! You really found some neat things!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jolena, I would be in heaven at a vintage bazaar like this! So much wonderful eye candy. Thanks so much for sharing it with Share Your Cup. I will be featuring you this week.
    hugs,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yipee! Thanks, Jan. I am glad you enjoyed the trip to the Bazaar.

      Delete
  7. Oh my what a great shopping spot!! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a fun show. Thanks for sharing the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun show. Thanks for coming by, Sarah!

      Delete
  9. So fun that you got to meet Danielle! I love her :) we met at a blog conference last year and she is the sweetest! Looks like an awesome event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice! Yes, Danielle is a sweetie and her booth was beautiful! Thanks for the visit. Hope you stop by again soon.

      Delete
  10. Hi!! So happy we got to meet at the Vintage Bazzar and thank you for featuring us in your blog post! We will be sponsoring the Sept show as well. Will we see you ?

    Stephanie Vanderbilt, Coastal Windows & Exteriors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie! Thank you for contacting me and x-posting the blog entry on the Vintage Bazaar. I always enjoy the trip and look forward to attending again in September. I will be sure to drop in and see you to thank you in person!~Jolena

      Delete