So, I made up some of my favorite plaster-of-paris paint that I am just going to call "pop" paint. I used it to paint the lamps and believe it or not 2 cups of paint goes a long way.
|Painted lamps and picture frame.|
I looked around at my piles of stuff to do to see what would benefit from a little freshening up.
I started with this cute little chest. It was my mom's. I used it for a while to keep tea packets in. The country cranberry color was not my style, though. When I decided to paint it I found a sticker on the bottom that said not to keep food items in it! I ended up throwing out like a hundred tea bags. I have not yet grown a third eye or developed any strange rash but if I do I am pointing to my potentially tainted tea bags.
I gave it a coat of paint. While that was drying I looked around for something else to paint because there was still paint left. I found a picture frame that needed a coat or two. In the catagory of "I have too many of these things" is empty picture frames. (The other things are pottery and fabric.......and unfinished projects.) Don't judge.
|This is what is left of my cleaned out fabric stash, Oooo!|
Okay, that's drying so I went back to the chest and gave it a second coat.
I still have paint! What else?
I bought this about a year ago at the Vintage Peacock. I did not know what I was going to do with it. I thought to maybe hang it over a doorway or in a wall grouping; perhaps over a window as a valance....I wasn't sure but I just liked it!
Looking at the pediment on top of Anita's bookcase at Cedar Hill Farmhouse and reading comments from people who were giving their opinions inspired me to paint it.
I dry-brushed it with my pop paint and let it dry. Dry brushing is not an accurate science, Simply dip your brush in paint then wipe most of it off onto a paper towel or craft paper. What is left on the brush is what you will paint with. Make your strokes light and sweeping. You don't want to see stop and start points. Let it dry, you can come back to it if you want more paint on the piece.
The frame got a second coat. The chest got it's drawer pulls put back on.
I searched my tool chest and the basement workbench for L-brackets and my handy-dandy screw gun. By the time I came back upstairs everything was dry. I attached the L-brackets to the back of the carved wood piece. I took it into the dining room and mounted it to the ceiling to top off my built in shelves. (Originally, I built them -all by myself- for our classroom and now they hold serving pieces.)
|Painted chest-empty for now.|
All this and I still had about 1/2 cup of pop paint! I couldn't find anything else to paint so I ended up tossing the rest out. Very sad, I know but I can make more....and you know I will!
Between Naps On The Porch