Thursday, November 12, 2015

Bedroom Shuffle-Part 4, Bedroom Reveal

We have completed the first bedroom in our bedroom shuffle. It all started with a post I did on vanity makeovers. After seeing a picture of my youngest's (daughter #3) bedroom Mister and I both felt the need to address some things in that room. It no longer looked as cute, pretty or clean as it did in that blog post. In order to do work in that room we needed to a place to put her and her stuff temporarily. That led to daughter #2 wanting to switch rooms......ugh. What started out as a simple (ha!) project has turned into some work!


I am so glad to finally be done with the first bedroom. This is the room for daughter #2. She selected the color on the wall- Into the Gloaming by Sherwin Williams at Lowes. It is an HGTV color. It is a beautiful, calm color. The trim is December Starlight by Valspar. It is warm white that still reads white and not beige.She had a vision for her room and we did our best to accommodate on a budget.


We ran into a little extra work in the closet. (You can read about it here.)

Her headboard was found on Craigslist. (You can read about it here.)


.There are two windows in the room. Only one of them is a privacy issue which we addressed with a simple roller shade from Home Depot. She wanted shutters for the window, not for functional purposes but totally aesthetic. I found them at a vintage fair and cleaned them up. (You can read about it here.) I found out later that Mister had suggested this idea to her.




The bookcase was there from before. The size of the bedroom meant there was no room for a dresser so we used the bookcase. I purchased six Circo storage boxes from Target. We used them for clothing that needed drawers like socks, ect. on the two bottom shelves. Her closet is the largest in the house so she hung everything she possible could and used the shelf for sweaters.


Every girl needs a place to put on her makeup and fix her hair. For this we utilized the little area next to the closet. It has a small window that overlooks the kitchen addition and further out into the back yard. The area is about 2 feet wide. Mister used laminated mdf and cut a hole to feed cords through to the outlet below. We found the stool, that opens for storage, on clearance at Target.


The chandelier was from another room in our house that got a makeover last year so it didn't cost us a dime! Yay! The carpet was in good condition as this room used to be our office and just didn't take a lot of abuse. The color would not be first choice for this pretty little room but it will do. She had the bed spread for her queen bed. Here it goes to the floor on her new twin bed so there was no need for a bed skirt. I did buy new sheets in grey.


The radiator cannot be moved. A marble shelf that Mister had picked up from the garbage a year ago finally found a purpose. And, the tissue puff in the window was from a friends party-it was going to be thrown out but we hate to see pretty things tossed. I works fine in place of a valance here.




When everything was said and done we spent less than $250 not including the price of a twin mattress and box spring. That makes Mister very happy. I got to reuse items we had in the house and I got to rework used pieces in the new space. That makes me happy. My girl's ideas were made a reality and it resulted in a beautiful bedroom and she is happy.

 

Okay, I'll take a few more minutes to enjoy this room then off to the next one....

Thanks for spending time with me!

I like to party here:
Chic On A Shoestring, French Country Cottage, Craft Dictator, Just Us Four, My Romantic Home, Shoestring Elegance, The DIY Village, DIY Vintage Chic, Blooming Homestead, A Tray of Bliss, I Heart Nap Time, The Girl Creative,  Shabby Art Boutique, Whipperberry, Pieced Pastimes, One More Time Events, Bliss Ranch, Finding Silver Pennies, Nifty Thrifty Things, DIY Showoff, Thoughts From Alice, Pink When, Inside The Fox Den, Pluckys Second Thought, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, Karens Up On The Hill, Create With Joy, Creatively Living, Huckleberry Love, Cedar Hill Farmhouse, Coastal Charm, Skip To My LouNewmans Corner, Cupcakes and Crinoline, Sand & Sisal, Home Stories A to Z, The Dedicated House, A Stroll Thru Life, Elizabeth & Co, A Bowl Full of Lemons, Our Home Away From Home, Cozy Little House, The DiY Dreamer, Ladybug Blessings, Just A Girl And Her Blog, Savvy Southern Style, The Blissful Bee, The Newlywed Pilgrimage, Simply Designing, Gingersnap Crafts, DIY By Design, Handy Man Crafty Woman, Crafty Allie, Imparting Grace, Too Much Time On My Hands, Lambert's Lately, The Charm of Home, From My Front Porch To Yours, My Flagstaff Home, Jann Olson, Blesser House, Must Love Home, The Pin Junkie, A Delightsome Life, Up To Date Interiors, A Vision To Remember, Joyful Homemaking, AKA Design

17 comments:

  1. So wonderful. I love your daughter's little nook for make up that is adorable. Happy Friday and have a wonderful week end.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Kris! She does love her make-up area and the natural light is great. Hoping your weekend is filled with many blessings.

      Delete
  2. Looks wonderful! I love how the shutters look! I've been following along and everything turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you Pam! I am so glad to know that you have been following the progress. Stay tuned because I am already well into room #2!

      Delete
  3. This is such a pretty room and you did a great job, not only pleasing your daughter but also working with what you have. There are lots of pretty girly touches throughout the room. I especially like the storage boses in the bookcase for the socks, smart solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary and thanks for spending time with me today! I do like pretty storage and where space restricted the use of a dresser the boxes made sense.

      Delete
  4. This turned out really pretty!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so pretty!! Thanks for linking to Manic Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephanie and thanks for hosting the party!

      Delete
  6. Jolena, you guys have done an awesome job! That looks so pretty, and for so little money. I love the idea of using the boxes in the bookshelf as drawers for socks and stuff. Very clever. Thanks for sharing at Five Star Frou-Frou. That chandelier is very Frou-Frou indeed! Love, Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting the party, Mimi and thank you for spending time with me. My girl is not an
      "over-the-top" Frou-Frou girl but there is a nod to it. I would like her to be a little more so but I will settle for what I can get.

      Delete
  7. Thank you, Robin. Glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. I'm glad you could spend time with me today.

      Delete
  9. Very pretty! I love how you organized/decorated the bookcase. Thanks for sharing at My Flagstaff Home!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything has turned out so cute! I have loved shuffling around with you. :) Thanks for sharing it with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete