Friday, November 6, 2015

Shutter Search - Bedroom Shuffle Part 3

In the repurposing of our office into a bedroom for one of our teen daughters I have had to let go of some of the design control. As hard as that is for me I have to say that I am on board with what my girl is wanting for her room. She has definitely caught my vintage bug. She likes second hand stores, thrift shops, and reworking old things.

Her idea about the headboard was good and the only place it can sit in the room is against the window. That leaves curtains out, completely. She had a plan....shutters. She wanted a pair of old shutters! How proud can a mama be?!

With that in mind I set out with tape measure in hand. I found the perfect pair at the Vintage Bazaar. (I told you about it here.) The seller worked with me on the price and I got them both at a great deal; far less than I would have paid for curtains. I loved the green color but that was not going to work in my girl's room. She has chosen a soft shade of grey. (Can anyone tell me the right way to spell grey/gray?)



After cleaning the grime and dirt off them I...........................wait for it...........................painted them! Roll your eyes, go ahead.

I first gave them a coat of gray that we used on the wall. I mixed up the p-o-p paint (recipe in this post) and went to work.

 

I let that dry then hit the shutters with the same white I mixed up for the headboard. I put two coats of that on.


When it had completely dried I used a sanding block to scuff up the paint, revealing some grey and sometimes taking it down to the wood. I promptly,mounted them to either side of the window behind her bed.

Nope, not gonna show you yet! You will have to wait to see the finished product.


Parties I like to attend:
French Country Cottage,The Shabby Nest,Chic On A Shoestring,Craft Dictator,Whipperberry, Remodelaholic,Just Us Four,The Cottage Market,The DIY Village, DIY Vintage Chic,Blooming Homestead,The Girl Creative,Craft-O-Maniac,Satisfaction Through Christ,Missional Women, Shabby Art Boutique, Shoestring Elegance, A Tray of Bliss, The Dedicated House, Pieced Pastimes , Funky Junk Interiors, One More Time Events, Nifty Thrifty Things, DIY Showoff, Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home, Finding Silver Pennies, Thoughts From Alice, Inside The Fox Den (My Pinterventures), Cedar Hill Farmhouse, Coastal Charm, Sew Can Do, Flamingo Toes, I Should Be Mopping The Floors, Skip to My Lou, Cupcakes and Crinoline, Home Stories A to Z, Huckleberry Love, My Uncommon Slice of Surburbia, Domestically Speaking, Sand and Sisal, VMG206, Creatively Living, Plucky's Second Thought, The Dedicated House, Karen's Up On The Hill, Create With Joy, Mad In Crafts, Carrie This Home, The Crafty Blog Stalker, Between Naps On The Porch, Strangers and Pilgrims On Earth, Yes They Are All Ours, A Stroll Thru Life,  Our Home Away From Home, Elizabeth & Co., DIY Dreamer,  Bowl Full of Lemons, Cozy Little House, Just A Girl And Her Blog, Time Warp Wife, A Spirit of Simplicity, 11 Magnolia Lane, Pink When, Little Miss Celebration, Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons, Reasons To Skip The Housework, Imparting Grace, Lambert's Lately, Grace and Good Eats, Too Much Time On My Hands. AKA Design, The Charm Of Home. Life With Lorelai, Common Ground, From My Front Porch To Yours,My Flagstaff Home, Joyful Homemaking, Have A Daily Cup Of Mrs. Olson, Crafts ala Mode, Blesser House, Must Love Home. Pin Junkie, A Delightsome Life, Craftberry Bush, Snazzy Little Things, My Repurposed Life, Up To Date Interiors, A Vision To Remember, Katherine's Corner, DIY by Design, Savvy Southern Style, Blissful Bee, The Newlywed Pilgrimage, Simply Designing, Gingersnap Crafts, Ivy and Elephants, Handy Man Crafty Woman, Crafty Allie

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting with me, Micki. Hope you can come back to see the finished product.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine. I remember my Crayons spelling it 'grey' when I was a kid but lately I have seen it spelled both ways. I am easily confused...Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Love these shutters. I've got some waiting in the garage that I've been hoarding even though my husband and son want to get rid of them. Pinned to repurpose board. Best wishes, Linda @crafts a la mode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is constantly complaining about my 'junk' in the basement! Too many times in the past I have gotten rid of things then wished I hadn't because now I have a place/use for it. Hold on to those shutters and go make something fabulous!

      Delete
  4. I love shutters because they are so versatile. We've got some at our cottage, in front of our furnace and hot water heater to help hide them. Now I'm looking for some to use as accents in our house. Anxious to see this when you're finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, thanks for spending time with me today. I do love shutters for all the ways they can be used. I have a small one in my living room held up by painted brackets to make a shelf. I have been toying with the idea of mounting them on either side of my tv and wiring the sconces through them.....I have to sell the Mister on that idea.

      Delete
  5. These are actually called jalousie doors for covering storage closets for instance. They are very versatile with their longer length. I am envious of your find as had to leave several sets of those taken out of our house in KY when oldest son was redoing it. When we moved to CO hubs insisted they be left behind along with several old windows and wood doors. Obviously he wasn' t in the know and I'm still without my goodies. Heck I would have shoved them on top of stuff in Budget truck to bring here. They are really great for what you'll be using them for. Enjoy and aren't you glad your daughter has been paying attention? Happy week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am indeed glad she has has been learning to love things for their form and not just because they are new. I am told she is a lot like me... I don't know if that is always a good thing but in this case I am glad for it. Thanks for visiting with me!

      Delete
  6. I've always wanted to do something with Shutters! How fun!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to seeing what you did with the shutters. The only reason I rolled my eyes was because shutters are hard to paint!!! You did a great job on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are sooooo right! Those things are a bear to paint. Fortunately for me, my girl wanted the old, pain-t pooled-in-the-corner-like-it's-been-painted-20-times look so I didn't have to be too persnickety about it. Thanks for visiting with me and hope you can come back at the end of the week for the reveal!

      Delete
  8. Great find! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love vintage shutters. I loved them as is, but if the color doesn't work for you; no worries about painting. I have one little one I use in vignettes and they are no fun to paint. Have had a large pair on my wish list for a while. I have actually found them twice, but both times it was when I could not get the home. Someday! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jann! Thanks for visiting with me this week and for hosting another fabulous party! Over the years I have owned a couple sets of shutters but when not in use for any length of time they "disappear" or I get guilted into giving them away only to find a new use and a new reason to go shopping.....sad, I know.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can see the finished product here: http://whileilinger.blogspot.com/2015/11/bedroom-shuffle-part-4-bedroom-reveal.html
      Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete