Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Scared of Water

If you've followed along on my social media accounts you may have noticed some artwork posted. I  have dabbled in art work my whole life. As a kid I loved to draw and color. At one point my mother checked into getting lessons for me but we were a military family of five and there was little money; nothing left over for such frivolities. My art teachers in public school supplied me with the only formal education I would receive. I was blessed to be exposed to a lot of different mediums and some I gravitated toward more than others.

I took home economics (do public schools still have that) in junior high school. That introduced me to the world of sewing. I learned the basics; how to thread a machine, how to follow a pattern, and how to hem and hand stitch. It has served me well over the years. I used to sew outfits for each of my girls. Later I made things for my home like pillows, table runners, and curtains. I've made tote bags, aprons, and gifts for family and friends.

I also took photography in junior high school which taught me how to develop my own film. Nobody does that anymore as the digital camera has revolutionized the industry. I also learned some things about composition and exposure. I have forgotten everything I learned about f-stops and and exposure but at one time I possessed the knowledge.

And that was where the formal education train ended other than one small stint with ceramics in my early twenties. Nothing survived from those days and I think I should probably be grateful! Anyway, all that to say that recently I took my first adult painting class! It is in a medium that has intimidated me for a long time, so much so that I just wouldn't even try it. I was afraid of water. I managed to do some things to show the kids when we were homeschooling but nothing that I would ever show to anyone. You can't control water; it goes where it wants to like an excited puppy! When painting with other mediums you can paint over a mistake but not so with water colors. You have to think backwards-highlights and breaks in surfaces.... Ugh! Also, colors get "muddy" quickly.

So yeah, this was not for me... at least I didn't think so.

Last autumn we found a church. You may have read about our experience with our church in a previous post. It has been a looooong (2+ year) search but I think we have found a place we can serve and rest. And, I have met a new friend...

                                                         that teaches art classes!!!

and she had just begun a class on watercolors. I decided to step out of my comfort zone and give it a go. I am so glad I did!

This was my first attempt!



My second lesson.




The third lesson. Christmas tree ornaments made in class.


So this was after just four classes. No, not great or even good quality and I can definitely see my mistakes and areas I need to learn to do better at but my appetite has been whetted/wetted. (Ha!) I am hooked. Here are some more recent attempts:





1st attempt at a seahorse:


 A second attempt at the seahorse during Covid quarantine:


Because of the state of our world presently we are all finding ourselves spending much more time at home. I confess that I have a tendency to look at it like I'm stuck but am trying to shift my way of thinking to one of gratitude. I get to be home right now where I am warm, have food and comfort and so do many of you. Try something unfamiliar. Try something you've been intimidated by. You don't need to run to a craft store or order from Amazon. Look around your home. Write a poem. Grab your phone or camera and walk out to your yard. Document Spring in your area.

While my new teacher friend is not presently conducting classes I have found instructional videos on line and tutorials on Pinterest so I am going to continue with the watercolors and I am going to try a few other things, too. Turn off the television and find a way to use your creative mind to make something beautiful.

Who knows what is waiting out there (and inside here, too) that we didn't know we could do!

Blessings, 



*Because of a Blogspot problem I had to update this post with the photos again. Sorry if it is not exactly as the first post.



9 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so impressed! Your work is beautiful! I just bought a little set of watercolors to dabble with, but it sure looks like I need lessons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chloe! The lessons have been most helpful and my teacher is an encourager. Having said all that the real teacher is trial and error and I have made a lot of them but it's part of the learning. Thanks for visiting with me today.

      Delete
  2. I too am impressed with your artwork, well done. I have been writing a little poetry something that I have never done before but I am enjoying the process. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to stay safe. You'll have to share some of your poetry! I think there should be many creative avenues for what will one day be referred to as quarantine art or something more maybe more catchy. Thank you for stopping by and for the kindness. Stay well!

      Delete
  3. Oh WOW, you're doing great, love your artwork!! As for home ec as we called it in high school, I don't know if they still teach it. I notice you use the term jr high, I do too but my grandbabies always correct me and say that's old fashioned that it's now called middle school :) Thanks so much for linking up with me at my #UnlimitedMonthlyLinkParty 11, open April 1 to 26. All entries shared on social media if share buttons installed. I’d like to invite you to check out my other current link parties too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dee! I wouldn't trade my old fashioned Jr.High days for contemporary Middle School days for all the world- believe me there are plenty of other things that let people know they are dealing with an oldie :) So glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  4. You surely have a talent that should be developed! I envy you. Maybe You Tube, Bob Ross tapes, etc. can help! I am craftsy but not artsy; God gives us all different talents--otherwise it sure would be a dull world. Today I made Christmas pins--some to sell (hopefully!), some for my church's November bazaar! My horrible stash of craft supplies is coming in handy now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Kathy, you sound like a kindred spirit! They all shook their heads at our hordes of unused craft supplies but who's laughing now? Ha-ha! Seriously though, I am glad that you are well and that you can use this time to focus not only on the future but also on helping your local church. Thanks for stopping by and spending time with me.

      Delete