Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Seeing The Light



Mister and I took what is becoming an annual late winter trip to Texas. It is a three-fold trip. We first hit the Austin area to visit old friends from high school-and this time around we made some new friends!

High-school friend, Lady, and me in New Braunfels, TX

After a couple days we drove north to visit Chip and JoJo's wonderland! We perused Magnolia Market and picked up a healthy amount of cupcakes- like one of every flavor.



Then we headed another three hours north to visit with my dad and brother.

When we left for the trip this year we were just beginning to hear about CoVid19. Since then everything... plans, work, and life have come to a screeching halt. Everybody is home right now. We are six weeks into everybody being home. I have found myself overwhelmed by all I have seen on the news, in our country, in my state and local towns and grumbling at all the changes. Mister is home a lot now. I keep trying to distract myself-and him-with a lot of little things that have been needing to be done in our home.

One of the projects that we've talked about for years is to move a light over the stairs. Our stairs are treacherous! At least, that is how it seems to people who visit. The house is 200 years old this year-at least according to sign on the front of the house.


When the house was built 'codes' weren't a thing. The steps are short and the rise is not to today's standards but we have lived here for 17 years and we're used to them-mostly. Not gonna lie, there are sometimes when the steps just feel a little wonky, especially in the dark. Four years ago (!!!) Mister painted the stairs and walls for me. (You can see that here.)

                               

I purchased a light for the front room a few years ago and Mister has not liked it ever since. I love the light and for several years you could find it anywhere "farmhouse" decor was sold.

                                                            
                                                                                Source

Mister doesn't hate the light so much but rather the height it hangs at. Because it is over my desk area I am fine with it but since everything is feeling 'off ' in the world right now I am questioning everything and so I agreed to change it. But, I still love the light and Mister agreed to move it over the stairs! Seems like a perfect compromise to me.


Well, that is easier said than done but Mister is amazing (in my humble opinion) and did all the work for that which also meant that the attic got all straightened out! SA-WEET!

And.... since we took that light from over my "desk" (which is really a table my grandmother purchased in France after WWII) we had to get a new light for the room....

                                 
                                                                         Source

and...

a new light for over the front door!

                                       
                                                                                  Source


And it all started with the stairs being lit up. Who knew?

I've been spending some of my quarantine time watching Rebecca Robeson videos. Her lighting choices are simply    S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G!

And, this is what I have learned about myself recently... I love lighting, beautiful lighting but I'm on a budget (wah-wah). That doesn't limit me as much as I thought it would. I do have a propensity for locating the most expensive thing available- "Champagne taste on beer budget", my mom used to say. But there are options and I think I have found some reasonable ones considering our limitations.

Back to me... So, I now recognize I have a thing for fabric, pottery, and lighting.

It didn't stop with the entry, stairs and front room. I just purchased another light for what has become my dressing room.... more on that later!

                                                     

                                                                                 Source

What have you been up to? Projects, reading? Art? Teaching? Or, just trying to keep a sound mind with everyone home? My mom used to always say, "It won't always be like this." She was right.

Last week I met with my bible study group online. We had spent the time looking at Hannah's prayer in                    1 Samuel 2:1-10 as she poured her heart out in thanks to God for the gift of her son, Samuel. I could so intimately identify with Hannah's heart attitude in the previous chapter. She was well cared for and provided for by her husband, Elkanah. She lacked nothing. Elkanah abundantly provided for her because he loved her so much and yet for her it was not enough. She had her own idea of what it meant for her to be "complete"; happy and fulfilled. She wanted a child!

I know there are many women out there who can identify with Hannah. Every mom can identify with Hannah's later prayer that "for this child I have prayed". But what got me most is this... Hannah had a preconceived notion of what happiness looked like to her. All that had been provided for her was not enough-she wanted more and because she didn't have it she was visibly stricken, so much so that her husband asks her "Am I not enough?" (My paraphrase.) But God, -aren't those the MOST BEAUTIFUL words?- heard the pleas of her heart and answered her! Now, if someone said to me, "Hey, God heard your prayer and He will provide for you as you prayed", I may walk away a little encouraged but it wouldn't take long for doubt to creep back in and cause me to question and drag my feet. But not Hannah. We are told, "the woman went her way and ate, and her face was no longer sad." Oh. My. Goodness!

So, the light bulb went off in my dim brain. Have I been complaining in spite of all that God has provided for me? I'm tired of being in my house, tired of not seeing my friends, upset that I can't be at regular church meetings, painting class, and all the many other things I have been missing out on .... But, God has heard me! I am reminded that I have a home, our bills are being met, I have food (and toilet paper), I have friends and a church family to miss. God has provided for me, abundantly. Hopefully, when my heart is reacting rightly, I will look at the lighting in my house and remember this moment when I could see clearly; when I could recognize my natural bent to not be satisfied with all God has blessed me with. And reminded when the light of the gospel of Jesus Christ once again witnessed to my soul that because I am his my grumbling and discontentment can be repented of and forgiven. I too, like Hanna, can have a face that is no longer sad!

I think my mom had heard from God at some point in her life those precious words; "It won't always be like this." I believe her and more importantly, like Hannah, I believe God. Praying that you are seeing the same light; finding comfort and peace in the God of Hannah during these times.

Linking to these parties:
The Dedicated House, Our Home Away From Home, Blue Sky At Home

2 comments:

  1. love those unusual lights makes it a place of ones own for sure
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit. I will check out the blog.

      Delete