Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Everything in it's own time.

We are still working on the kitchen/laundry room renovation. Admittedly, we have taken a few breaks but this is getting old. I am reminded that I really did not want to complain and so if this sounds like I jumped on to the Big-Ole-Complainy-Pants Bandwagon it is simply because I have.

A friend recently asked about the progress and when I told her where we were she likened it to the last few boxes of stuff to be packed when you are moving. Yes, that's it! It seems like just a couple things but the next thing you know you've packed three boxes and have to go to the store to get more.

We are working on the crown molding and purchased a handy-dandy Kreg jig to help with the cutting. I do not understand that stupid thing! Your molding does not stay still on the jig. You have to place your hands dangerously close (in my opinion) to the blade of the compound miter saw. There is something about a spring angle which is the inside of an angle that you need to figure out in order to get the right cuts. I would explain it all to help you out with your projects except... I have no idea how it works! I have tried. You have to measure and cut upside down and backwards and honestly, it is enough to push this impatient diy-er over the edge. Mr handles it a lot better than I do.

We had to build up the top of the cabinets to hold the filler piece that takes up some of the room between the cabinets and the ceiling. The filler was not quite as long as we would have liked. Hind sight being 20/20 we would have ordered that differently.  You really want it to take up as much space as possible otherwise you are having to back fill space to have something to nail into. The first night went well; slow, but well.

The next night was a nightmare! We could not get a nice tight fit for anything. We measured and cut. Measured again and cut again.... and again. What is wrong with this stupid thing! My Mr. was not happy. I had no explanation and finally he gave up. We had wasted two pieces of molding and a whole nights worth of work. The cabinet order only had three pieces of molding with no extra for mistakes and we had just made many. He did not like what he was seeing; he took it all down. "That jig is going back to the store!", I declared.

He started taking the jig apart to fit it back into the box and there it was. Remember that spring angle thing? Well you set that number on a dial on the bottom of the jig. Somehow that had gotten moved from it's original setting. How that happened nobody knows but I am blaming poor design. So, we bought more crown molding and did not return the jig. We now have plenty of scraps to practice on but we have run out of steam on this one. It was mega discouraging so we are taking another break for a couple days.

I was feeling really bummed about our lack of progress. I started writing this post and now can't get pictures to load! Is there a disturbance in the Force?  I was looking at other bloggers out in "finished project world" and their progress and thinking I was never going to make it then I read about another diy blogger who was going through the same thing.  Kristi, over at Addicted 2 Decorating, pointed out how comparison steals contentment. Boy, that was just what I needed to be reminded of. I am exactly where God intends me to be right now. Learn the lessons, give Him the glory and take joy in the many blessings.

I have gotten stuff done. The bathroom cabinet and shelves are done. I need to be content with where I am for now.We have plenty to do to keep us busy apart from the renovation. Our lawn has been so neglected this year. We've only been to the beach once and we love the beach. It is the only thing that keeps us going when the winter drags on....the thought of summer at the beach. Summer is flying by! The kitchen will be there when summer is done. I can cook in it for now and my dishwasher is AWESOME! Yup, still at that parade! Chin up!

It will get done when it is meant to be done, in it's right time. I will post pictures soon of the bathroom/laundry room.

No comments:

Post a Comment